Friday, April 13, 2012

Watch my Garden Grow

It's amazing the things that make me excited at this point in my life!  I don't remember dreaming about having a garden and thinking how fun it would be, but the last couple of years I have really been wanting one.  When we were looking for a new house last summer, one of my main focuses was having a garden and finding a house that had a yard that would allow one.

I have fond memories of when I was a kid and my mom had a big garden, I would help her tend to it every once in a while...I remember it being sort of fun.  I think I enjoyed the flower gardening more back then though, I even used to take my flowers to the fair.

A couple of weeks ago, I took a few days off work to get parts of our back yard in order.  I completely demolished a flower bed, leveled it and then rebuilt it.  I planted some bushes and a lot of flowers in it, I can't wait until it grows in this summer!  I also went to Sam's and bought 2 garden box sets.  Each set contained two 3.5 foot squares, so I have about 14 ft. of garden.  It was about 90 degrees that weekend, so I decided to go ahead and plant everything!  I didn't really put much thought into there possibly being another frost, so keep your fingers crossed!

Here's what all I planted: corn, carrots, green beans, snap peas, lettuce, spinach, okra, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries.  I know that I planted WAY too much in the space that I have...but maybe that just means more of it will live!  haha!  It's growing in really nicely so far, here's the first picture of the season...I will post more as it grows!  I can't wait to show you all the first harvest of my crop!  :)


Here's a close up of my green beans and snap peas box...I'm pretty excited about this section of the garden. I plan on eating these right out of the garden...raw and maybe not even washed!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment